What this blog is about

It's an art blog.
Mostly about theatre... but also a healthy dose of pop culture, politics and shameless self-promotion.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

OYR in TO


I just stumbled upon a nice little profile at the G&M of One Yellow Rabbit's Denise Clarke.

Even though we come from nearby stomping grounds, I’m not as familiar with OYR’s work as I am with their enviable reputation. Namely, how they’ve taken a mandate to create and produce experimental theatre and, somehow, made it sexy. Not just among fellow artists (although OYR is adored for their artist outreach and training initiatives, like their annual Summer Lab Intensive.) They’ve been around for over 25 years, and their annual High Performance Rodeo is one of Calgary’s signature festivals. People flock to OYR’s weird little shows, and I’m envious and grateful for this all at the same time.

Sexiness is a state of being. For theatre, it’s not just the responsibility of a single performer, although a performer’s state of mind, confidence and physicality can definitely help. But it’s more than just the performers. It’s an entire image – it’s a brand. OYR is one of the few theatre companies that actively court sex appeal as a part of their overall raison d’ĂȘtre (maybe not in it’s official mandate, but…). As such, it also courts an audience that sees itself as ‘sexy’ by association. Which is really cool.

… And smart as hell.

In January 2006, I was especially lucky enough to participate in the first ever Interrium project, offered by Springboard Dance, listed as an “adjacent festival” to the HPR. (I say “especially lucky” as it was the one and only year that it paid artists to participate rather than the other way around.) During week 2 of the project, we got to work with Denise. I don’t know about the other artists, but I was very intimidated to meet her. OYR’s sexy brand can also be intimidating – we associate “sexiness” with “hardness”. The moment I did though, any apprehension I had just melted away. She’s an incredibly warm and giving person beyond just being a talented artist. I learned a tonne from her. I hope to work with her again someday.

If you’re in Toronto and you have a chance, check out some OYR shows at the Young Centre for Performing Arts.

No comments: